Before I took this class, I hadn't given much thought to how I should/could/might/need to incorporate the use of technology into my classroom. When I think back on my years in elementary through high school, I can't really seem to pinpoint any very significant uses of technology in the classroom.
I remember: records, tapes, VCRs, overheads, scantron sheets, computers with black and green screens. CDs I think were the most advanced technology, and that wasn't even until the later years of HS.
What do you all remember?
Does it come as a surprise to you (or do you not agree) that the structure of classrooms and curriculum is very outdated? If you think about it, the educational system hasn't really been reformed or overhauled since the 1950s when it became a necessity to train students to become factory workers. Do you think that the outdated nature of curriculum's might partially be a result of (and here comes the part where you might flag me) perhaps [older] teachers who are not incorporating evolving technologies into their classrooms? I haven't had the opportunity to observe many classrooms yet, so my experiences are few, but I do wonder if this could be part of the problem. It seems to me that we should embrace technology as it can assist us as educators in being more productive and providing our students with exposure to stimuli that they would not otherwise have access to. It is also a way for us to connect with our students and to allow them to show us (through utilizing technologies that they are constantly attached to 24/7 anyway) what they know, how they know it, to give them a chance to be proud and build upon their self esteem. It provides them a chance to be an integral part of process of learning, which I believe they yearn for. They thrive on interaction, not passive reaction to facts and figures being split out at them. This is a reality that we need to admit. And once they are old enough to go out into the great big world, the technologies will only be more advanced and I suspect that in order to survive they will need to have the necessary skills to be able to advance along with it.
My point to this post being: As educators in today's day and age we really need to put some effort into keeping up with the latest technological trends in order to be the best educators we can be......don't forget it.
No comments:
Post a Comment